Monday, January 14, 2013

The Price of Reading (Blog #2)


In the article "The Price of Reading Is Eternal Vigilance" the author, Anatole Broyard seems to have a very strange , almost obsessive connection to books. He also gives books a lot of authority. He explains himself very well in the article. It seems like that's just what works for him. That is how he "reads well" and understands his readings. I, myself tend to have some kind of weird ritual or "thing I do" to get me through a reading or assignment or even a walk of life. Although I do find some similarities between Broyard and myself, I wouldn't go so far as to say we are exactly alike. I would never say that "I have so much respect for a book that I wouldn't read it." Nor would I treat a book like a sterile object. Anatole Broyard definitely believes that books possess a power of sorts. I do enjoy Broyards' statement "I use the author, just as he uses me. I read the book the way I want to read it -I gawk, stare, dawdle,digress, retrace my steps. If the author says something I don't like or can't believe, I argue with him, I refuse to move on till we've had it out." I find myself doing that often with books and even articles that I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment